Police in Oregon are urging caution as people wonder if a serial killer is on the loose. Since February 2023, six women have been found dead in a 2-hour radius around the Portland area. The victims range in age from 22 to 40, and all of their bodies have been found in isolated areas. The cause of death has not been released in all cases, but foul play is suspected in all of them.
The Portland Police Bureau has not confirmed that the deaths are the work of a serial killer, but they have said that they are investigating the possibility. Local residents and the internet are abuzz with the possibility.
So far, the victims of the suspicious Oregon killings are:
- Kristin Smith, 22, who was found dead 0n February 19 in a wooded area in the Pleasant Valley neighborhood on the border of Portland and Happy Valley, after being reported missing last December.
- Joanna Speaks, 25, who was found dead on April 8 in rural Clark County. To date, her death is the only one officially ruled a homicide at this time, as a medical examiner reported signs of blunt-force trauma to the head and neck.
- Charity Perry, 35, who was found dead on April 24 in a culvert near Ainsworth State Park. Her death has been labeled suspicious.
- Also on April 24, an unidentified woman was found dead in a tent. Police said there is no indication foul play should be suspected in that case.
- Bridget Webster was found dead on April 30 in Polk County. Her death has been labeled as suspicious.
- Ashley Real, 22, was found dead on May 7 in a canyon in Clackamas County, after vanishing from a fast food restaurant in late March. Her death is also considered suspicious but has not yet been deemed a homicide.
The possibility of a serial killer in Portland has raised concerns among residents. The city, as well as most other metropolises, has seen a rise in crime in recent years. This recent string of killings has added to a sense of unease. Police are urging residents to be vigilant and to report any suspicious activity.
“I think that they are trying to make sure that they keep the public from being too freaked out about serial killer,” said Robyn Speaks, sister of Joanna. “Either way, women are dying. And the numbers are rising,”
Police are asking anyone with information about the deaths to come forward. They are also urging people to be aware of their surroundings and to take precautions to stay safe.
Portland Police also added, attempting to downplay the possibility: “We ask that our community be aware of the facts about these cases before sharing speculation.”
“PPB is assuring our community that if we learn of an articulable danger, we will notify the public about it.”
“PPB will continue to coordinate with other law enforcement agencies to ensure we are doing all we can to pursue justice for any and all crime victims.”
Dealing With a Possible Serial Killer
Whether it is truly a serial killer or just a random string of coincidences, here are some tips for staying safe:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Pay attention to people and situations that seem suspicious.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel like something is wrong, it probably is. Don’t be afraid to walk away from a situation or to ask for help if you feel unsafe.
- Avoid walking alone in dangerous areas. If you must walk alone, take a cell phone with you and let someone know where you are going.
- Avoid walking alone at night. If you must walk alone, take a well-lit route, carry a flashlight, and be aware of your surroundings. In both cases, it is best to walk with someone else.
- Be assertive. If someone approaches you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable, don’t be afraid to speak up.
- Carry a personal alarm or whistle. These can be used to attract attention if you are being attacked.
- Carry pepper spray, a stun gun, or other self-defense weapons. These items can be used to deter an attacker, help you fight back, or give you time to escape.
- Take self-defense classes. This can help you learn how to defend yourself if you are attacked.
By following these tips, you can help to keep yourself safe.
Dealing with a possible serial killer in your area is a scary thing. It can be difficult to know what to do to protect yourself, but there are some things you can do to increase your chances of staying safe. One of the most important things you can do is to purchase pepper spray or a stun gun. These weapons can be used to deter an attacker or to incapacitate them long enough for you to escape.
When choosing a pepper spray or stun gun, it is important to select one that is right for you. There are many different types of pepper sprays and stun guns available, so it is important to do your research and find one that is effective and easy to use. You should also consider the laws in your area regarding the use of these weapons. In some areas, it is illegal to carry pepper spray or a stun gun without a permit. As far as I am aware, Oregon has no such issues with law-abiding citizens using non-lethal self-defense tools, but things change and you should be aware of any crazy local restrictions that put a criminal at an advantage.
In addition to carrying pepper spray or a stun gun, there are other things you can do to protect yourself from crime. Be aware of your surroundings and avoid walking alone at night. If you must walk alone, try to stay in well-lit areas and be sure to tell someone where you are going. You should also keep your doors and windows locked at all times, even when you are home.
By taking these precautions, you can help to keep yourself safe from crime. If you are ever attacked, remember to fight back and use whatever means necessary to protect yourself.
As always, be safe and be prepared.
See our other Serial Killer related posts.