In a bizarre incident that left the public stunned, a man in Toronto reportedly brandished a live python before swinging it at another man on the street. This is one of the more unusual python attack stories I have seen.
The incident occurred on Wednesday, May 10, at approximately 11:50 p.m. in the Dundas Street West and Manning Avenue area. A 45-year-old man has been charged with assault with a weapon after allegedly using a 10-foot snake to attack a victim in Toronto.
Police say they received a call about a man threatening people with a snake. When officers arrived on the scene, they found a man and a victim involved in a physical altercation.
A video circulating on social media appears to show a man swinging a python around and using it to hit someone in the middle of the street. Police were able to quickly subdue the man and take him into custody.
The victim was not seriously injured and the snake was also originally reported unharmed.
The man has been identified as Laurenio Avila. He has been charged with assault with a “weapon” and causing unnecessary pain or suffering to an animal. Avila was scheduled to appear in court on Thursday, May 11.
These incidents have raised concerns about the safety of people who live and work in Toronto. The City of Toronto has a bylaw that prohibits the possession of snakes that are over three meters long. However, no law specifically prohibits people from using snakes to attack others.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) reported that there were 21,394 assaults in Toronto in 2022. Of those assaults, 3,896 involved a weapon. This is a significant increase from the previous year when there were 19,000 assaults reported and 3,500 involved a weapon. There was no report of how many previous assaults were with snakes, but I imagine it would have been mentioned if it was significant.
Police are urging anyone who sees someone threatening others with or without a snake, to call 911 immediately.
Self-Defense Tips Against a Swinging Python Attack
I have to admit, I never thought this is a topic I would have to address… but here we are. Here are some tips on self-defense against a man swinging a large snake at you:
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you see a man approaching you with a large snake, try to get away from him as quickly as possible. But if you can’t get away, try to find something to use as a shield, such as a car door or an outdoor café table.
- If the man attacks you, try to dodge the snake. The snake is most dangerous when it is swinging in a wide arc. If you can, try to move out of the way of the snake so that it doesn’t hit you. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a snake. Probably.
- If the snake does hit you, try to protect yourself. The snake can cause serious injuries, so it is important to try to protect yourself if it hits you. You can try to block the snake with your arms or legs, or you can try to grab the snake and pull it away from the attacker.
- Defend at range. You are probably going to need to keep some distance, so contact weapons like a stun gun or short telescopic batons will probably be of little use. Pepper Spray utilized several feet away will be your best bet. Aim for the attacker’s face, not the snake’s. It is too small.
- If the man continues to attack you, fight back. If the man continues to attack you, you may need to fight back to defend yourself. Try to use whatever you can to defend yourself, such as your fists, feet, or any objects that you can find. Another snake is not recommended.
It is important to remember that self-defense is a last resort. If you can avoid being attacked, that is always the best option. However, if you are attacked, it is important to know how to defend yourself.
Here are some additional tips that may help you in a self-defense situation:
- Stay calm. It is important to stay calm in a self-defense situation. If you panic, you may make mistakes that could put you in danger.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Pay attention to your surroundings so that you can use them to your advantage. For example, if you are in a room with furniture, you can use the furniture to block the attacker’s path.
- Use whatever you can to defend yourself. If you don’t have any self-defense weapons, you can use anything you can find to defend yourself. For example, you can use a book, a chair, or even your bare hands.
- Don’t be afraid to fight back. If you are attacked, you may need to fight back to defend yourself. Don’t be afraid to use whatever force is necessary to protect yourself.
Self-defense is a serious matter. If you are in a situation where you need to defend yourself, it is important to know what to do. By following these tips, you can increase your chances of defending yourself and staying safe.