Good Samaritans are people who help others in need, even when they are not obligated to do so. They may intervene in a self-defense situation to help someone who is being attacked, or they may assist someone who has been injured.
There are many reasons why people choose to act as Good Samaritans. Some people used to do it because they believe it is the right thing to do, while others do it because they want to help others. Still, others may do it because they feel a sense of duty or obligation.
Whatever the reason, Good Samaritans played an important role in our society. They helped to keep us safe and they make our communities a better place to live.
The Good Samaritan law is a legal principle that protects individuals who attempt to help someone in need of emergency medical assistance from being sued for unintentional harm caused during the rescue attempt. This principle varies from state to state and country to country, but the basic concept remains the same.
The law encourages bystanders to provide the necessary assistance by protecting them from liability if they act within their ability and duty of care and do not cause further harm than what is already present. It aims to promote public safety and emergency response and to encourage individuals to act in emergencies without fear of legal repercussions.
How Good Samaritans Act in Self-Defense Situations
Good Samaritans may have acted in a variety of ways to help someone who is being attacked. They may:
- Call the police. This is the most important thing that a Good Samaritan can do. By calling the police, they can help to ensure that the attacker is apprehended and that the victim receives the help they need.
- Intervene physically. In some cases, a Good Samaritan may need to intervene physically to stop the attack. This can be a dangerous thing to do, but it may be necessary to protect the victim.
- Provide emotional support. In addition to physical help, Good Samaritans can also provide emotional support to the victim. This can be helpful in the immediate aftermath of the attack, and it can also be helpful in the long term as the victim recovers.
The Importance of Good Samaritans Defending Others
Good Samaritans play an important role in our society. They help to keep us safe and they make our communities a better place to live. If you ever see someone who is being attacked, do not hesitate to act. You could make a difference in someone’s life.
Here are some examples of how Good Samaritans have helped others in self-defense situations:
- In 2019, a Good Samaritan in New York City helped to stop a robbery by confronting the attacker and holding him until the police arrived.
- In 2020, a Good Samaritan in California helped to save a woman from being attacked by a man with a knife. The Good Samaritan intervened and was able to disarm the attacker.
- In 2021, a Good Samaritan in Texas helped to stop a carjacking by chasing the car and blocking it in with his own car. The Good Samaritan was able to get the carjacker to surrender to the police.
These are just a few examples of how Good Samaritans have helped others in self-defense situations. Their actions are often heroic and can make a real difference in the outcome of a situation.
The Future of Good Samaritans
Here are some of the factors that may discourage good Samaritans from acting to help others in self-defense situations:
- Fear of legal repercussions. Recent indictments have raised concerns that Good Samaritans could be charged with crimes if they use force to defend themselves or others. This fear could discourage some people from intervening in potentially dangerous situations.
- Lack of training. Many people do not have training in self-defense or conflict resolution. This lack of training could make people hesitant to intervene in a situation, even if they believe that it is necessary.
- Apathy. Some people may simply not care enough to get involved in a situation that does not directly involve them. This apathy could discourage people from helping others, even if they believe that it is the right thing to do.
In today’s society, it is disturbing to observe an increase in negative Good Samaritan sentiments. This negative attitude can have dangerous implications, as in a worst-case scenario, you may find yourself having to be your own first responder. This means taking matters into your own hands and being solely responsible for your own safety and well-being.
While it is always ideal to have support from others in a self-defense situation, if people are no longer willing to aid you, then you will be forced to rely solely on your own instincts and abilities. It is therefore essential to be well-prepared and knowledgeable in self-defense techniques and also to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings at all times. It is a sad reality, but to stay safe and protected, we must acknowledge and prepare for the possibility of DIY self-defense. Owning and knowing how to use pepper spray or a stun gun has never been more important.
June 2023 Daniel Penny Indictment
It is possible that the Daniel Penny indictment could further discourage some Good Samaritans from acting to help others in self-defense situations. The indictment has been met with criticism from some who believe that Penny was justified in using deadly force to defend himself against Jordan Neely, who was reportedly acting erratically and threatening other passengers on the subway. Others have defended the indictment, arguing that Penny used excessive force and that Neely did not pose a serious threat to him.
It may or may not be too early to say whether the Penny indictment will have a significant impact on the willingness of people to act as Good Samaritans. However, it is a reminder that people who intervene in self-defense situations could face legal consequences.
Typically, these tips would be for people who are considering intervening in a self-defense situation:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Assess the situation and make sure that you are not putting yourself in danger.
- Try to de-escalate the situation. Talk to the person who is threatening violence and try to calm them down.
- Call the police. If the situation does not de-escalate, call the police and let them handle the situation.
- Do not use force unless you are in imminent danger of serious bodily harm or death. If you do use force, use only the amount of force necessary to stop the threat.
It is important to remember that every situation is different and that there is no one-size-fits-all answer to the question of when it is appropriate to use force in self-defense. If you are ever in a situation where you feel threatened, the best course of action is to call the police and let them handle the situation.
But let’s add in some of the “alleged” details from this ongoing investigation:
- Be aware of your surroundings. This situation transpired inside of F train subway car, while in motion. There was no escape until the train reached the next station.
- Try to de-escalate the situation. It was alleged that Jordan Neely threatened to kill passengers and stated that he was willing to go to prison or to die. It was reported that attempting to talk Neely down only aggravated his anger.
- Call the police. The police were called, but again, the F train car was in motion, and no police intervention was available, at least until the train reached the next station.
- Do not use force unless you are in imminent danger of serious bodily harm or death. Also repeating, it was alleged that Jordan Neely threatened to kill passengers and stated that he was willing to go to prison or to die. “I was scared for myself, but I looked around, and I saw women and children. He was yelling in their faces saying these threats,” stated Daniel Penny. “I knew I had to act.”
It is important to remember that the Daniel Penny case is still ongoing and that Penny has not been convicted of any crime. However, the indictment has raised important questions about the legal limits of self-defense and could discourage some people from intervening in potentially dangerous situations.
Pepper Spray? Stun Gun?
There is no way to know for sure what role pepper spray or a stun gun could have played in the Daniel Penny and Jordan Neely incident. However, it is possible that they could have helped to de-escalate the situation.
Pepper spray and stun guns are both non-lethal weapons that can be used to defend oneself from an attacker. Pepper spray works by irritating the eyes and respiratory system, making it difficult for the attacker to see or breathe. A stun gun works by delivering a high-voltage shock that can temporarily incapacitate the attacker.
In the Penny and Neely incident, Penny claims that he acted in self-defense after Neely threatened the entire subway car. However, prosecutors argue that Penny used excessive force when he choked Neely to death. If Penny had used pepper spray or a stun gun, it is possible that he would not have had to use lethal force.
It is important to note that pepper spray and stun guns are not always effective. They can be ineffective if the attacker is wearing protective gear, such as goggles or a thick jacket. They can also be ineffective if the attacker is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Even if pepper spray or a stun gun had been effective in the Penny and Neely incident, it is possible that Penny would still have been charged with a crime. In some jurisdictions, it is illegal to use pepper spray or a stun gun in self-defense. In New York state, residents may only purchase defense sprays from licensed Firearms Dealers or licensed Pharmacists. So that would have probably been okay.
Stun guns are also legal in New York under normal circumstances, however NYS is notorious for being anti-self-defense weapon. And of course, let’s not forget that pepper spray used in a relatively small closed-in location, such as a subway car would have certainly affected other passengers once the pepper spray was airborne.
The Penny and Neely incident is a tragic reminder that self-defense can be complicated. There are many factors to consider when it is appropriate to use force in self-defense. If you are ever feeling threatened, it would be great to be able to just call the police and let them handle the situation.
But of course, when seconds count, the police are at least several minutes away. Once the subway car enters the station.
As always, be safe and be prepared.